Thomas Schultz joined the University of Bonn in spring 2013, as an assistant professor (Jun.-Prof.) in computer science and head of the Visualization and Medical Image Analysis Group. Previously, he was with the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen (2011-2013, part-time in 2014), the University of Chicago, where he spent two years (2009-2011) as a DAAD postdoctoral fellow, and the MPI Informatik in Saarbrücken (2006-2009). Prof. Schultz received his MSc (Dipl.-Inf.) and PhD (Dr.-Ing.) degrees in computer science from Saarland University in 2006 and 2009, respectively, after studying computer science and medical engineering in Saarbrücken, Heidelberg/Heilbronn, and Linköping (Sweden). His scientific work and his service as a reviewer have been recognized with the Otto Hahn Medal as well as with best paper and distinguished reviewer awards.
- We welcome Shekoufeh Gorgi Zadeh as a new PhD student in our group!
- This year, I serve as an IPC member of IEEE SciVis, EuroVis, PacificVis, and the EG Workshop on Visual Computing for Biology and Medicine (VCBM), as well as on the panel of the MedVis award.
- Our DFG project on "Tensor based adaptive deconvolution of multi-shell diffusion MR data" has started.
- The Springer book on "Visualization and Processing of Higher Order Descriptors for Multi-Valued Data" (co-edited with Ingrid Hotz) is out!
- Here's a link to the schedule of our PhD Seminar Graphics, Vision, Audio for Intelligent Systems.
Recent Peer-Reviewed Poster Abstracts
- A. Tobisch, T. Schultz, R. Stirnberg, G. Varela, H. Knutsson, P. Irarrazaval, T. Stöcker: Comparing Fourier to SHORE Basis Functions for Sparse DSI Reconstruction. Meeting of Int'l Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), Toronto, Canada, 2015. Selected for oral presentation.
- M. Hermann, R. Klein, T. Schultz: Segmentation-Free Quantification of Spots on a Homogeneous Background. IEEE VIS 2014
- T. Schultz, P. Gerber, T. Schmidt-Wilcke: Looks Like You Learned: Investigating Training-Induced Changes in White Matter Architecture. MICCAI Workshop on Computational Diffusion MRI, Boston, 2014
- S. Gröschel, T. Schultz, G. Hagberg, U. Klose, T.-K. Hauser, O. Bieri, T. Prasloski, A. MacKay, I. Krägeloh-Mann, K. Scheffler: Assessing white matter microstructure in regions with different myelin architecture. Meeting of Int'l Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), Milan, Italy, 2014
- A. Tobisch, G. Varela, R. Stirnberg, H. Knutsson, T. Schultz, P. Irarrazaval, T. Stöcker: Sparse isotropic q-space sampling distribution for Compressed Sensing in DSI. Meeting of Int'l Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine (ISMRM), Milan, Italy, 2014
- S. Gröschel, K. Scheffler, U. Klose, T. Schultz: Microstructural changes in Metachromatic Leukodystrophy assessed by DTI, FOD, and NODDI. ISMRM Workshop on Diffusion as a Probe of Neural Tissue Microstructure, Podstrana, Croatia, 2013
- P. Sundgren, P. Cagnoli, P. Wang, T. Schultz, J. McCune, T. Schmidt-Wilcke: Changes in regional white matter integrity in the prefrontal cortex in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus. Oral presentation at American Society of Neuroradiology (ASNR) Annual meeting, San Diego, CA, USA, 2013
- Apr 2015: Along-the-Tract Feature Extraction as a Manifold Learning Problem. Dagstuhl Seminar on Multidisciplinary Approaches to Multivalued Data, Wadern, Germany
- Mar 2016: What Diffusion Can Tell Us About the Human Brain. Invited talk at Symposium on the Frontier of PET/MR in Brain Imaging, Fudan University, Shanghai, China
- Jan 2016: Vom Hirn zum Herzen: Medizin als Anwendung und Motor des Visual Computing. Invited talk at Division of Cardiology, Charité Berlin, Germany
- Oct 2015: What Diffusion Can Tell Us About the Human Brain. Invited talk at Neuroimaging Center, Technical University Munich, Germany
- Oct 2015: Diffusion Imaging Visualization. MICCAI Tutorial on Advanced Medical Visualization, Munich, Germany
- Sep 2015: Von der Pixelhalde zur Erkenntnis. Invited talk at Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, RWTH Aachen, Germany
- Sep 2015: Wissenschaftliche Visualisierung. Talk at Werkstoffwoche, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Materialkunde, Dresden, Germany
- May 2015: Learning Probabilistic Transfer Functions: A Comparative Study of Classifiers. Conference talk at EG Conf. on Visualization (EuroVis full paper), Cagliari, Italy
- May 2015: A Beautiful Brain – Mathematics and Visualization in Neuroscience. Invited talk at 3TU Applied Mathematics Institute Spring Festival, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- Dec 2014: Was Diffusion uns über das menschliche Gehirn verrät. Seminar talk at Clinic for Nuclear Medicine, University of Bonn, Germany
- Sep 2014: From DTI to Adaptive Spherical Deconvolution and Beyond. Invited talk at Workshop on Diffusion MRI at Bergmannsheil Bochum, Germany
- Aug 2014: Visualization and Medical Image Analysis. Talk at Visual Computing Summit, RWTH Aachen, Germany
- Apr 2014: What Heat Diffusion Tells Us About The Human Brain. Seminar talk at Institute of Genetics, University of Bonn, Germany
- Feb 2014: Adaptive Dekonvolution von HARDI-Patientendaten. Workshop Diffusionsbildgebung für die computerassistierte Neurochirurgie, RWTH Aachen, Germany
- Feb 2014: Visualization and Machine Learning in Diffusion MRI. Workshop on Diffusion MRI at German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE), Bonn
- Feb 2014: Kernel Distribution Embeddings: Applications in Diffusion MRI. Dagstuhl Seminar on Visualization and Processing of Higher Order Descriptors for Multi-Valued Data, Wadern, Germany.
- Jan 2014: Sparsity, Uncertainty, and the Human Brain Connectome. Invited talk at Department of Biomedical Engineering, Technical University Eindhoven, The Netherlands
- Dec 2013: Nichts als bunte Fasern im Kopf!? Visualisierung in der Diffusions-Bildgebung. Inaugural lecture at University of Bonn
- Oct 2013: Open-Box Spectral Clustering: Applications to Medical Image Analysis. Conference talk at IEEE VIS (VAST full paper), Atlanta, GA, USA
- Oct 2013: Symmetric Tensor Approximation And The Human Brain Connectome. Invited talk at Department of Mathematics, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
- Oct 2013: Blind Deconvolution in Diffusion MRI. Talk at Bonn Vision Workshop, Germany
- Jun 2013: HiFiVE: A Hilbert Space Embedding of Fiber Variability Estimates for Uncertainty Modeling and Visualization. Conference talk at EG Conf. on Visualization (EuroVis full paper), Leipzig, Germany
- Jun 2013: Blind Spherical Deconvolution: Bringing HARDI Into The Clinic. Invited talk at Int'l Workshop on Visualization in Medicine and Life Sciences (VMLS), Leipzig, Germany
Organization of Workshops and Tutorials
- Multidisciplinary Approaches to Multivalued Data: Modeling, Visualization, Analysis. Dagstuhl Seminar 16142, with Ingrid Hotz and Evren Özarslan
- 20th Int'l Symp. on Vision, Modeling and Visualization (VMV 2015), Papers Co-Chair
- Computational Diffusion MRI: A MICCAI Workshop
- IEEE Visualization, Poster Co-Chair 2012 and 2011
- Course on Diffusion Imaging at SPIE Medical Imaging 2012 in San Diego (with Jan Klein)
- Tutorial on Tensors in Visualization at IEEE VisWeek 2010 (Salt Lake City) with Gordon Kindlmann, Xavier Tricoche, Alex Vasilescu, Anna Vilanova, and Eugene Zhang. Slides are still available!
Membership on Program Committees
- IEEE Scientific Visualization (SciVis) IPC 2016, 2015
- EG Conference on Visualization (EuroVis) IPC Full Papers 2016, 2015, 2012, 2011, 2010; Short Papers 2014, 2013, 2012
- PacificVis IPC 2016
- EG Workshop on Visual Computing for Biology and Medicine IPC 2016
- Vision, Modeling, and Visualization Workshop IPC 2014, 2013, 2012, 2009
- Computational Diffusion MRI Workshop IPC 2015, 2014
- Int'l Conf. in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision (WSCG) IPC 2015
- IEEE Symposium on Biological Data Visualization (BioVis) IPC 2014, 2013
- Workshop "Trends und aktuelle Entwicklungen für die computerassistierte Neurochirurgie", at GI Informatik 2012
- EG Workshop on Visual Computing for Biology and Medicine (VCBM), Poster Committee 2010